Programs for Students
PLIYH recently added Student Master Classes to our Continuing Education Program. Master Classes are opportunities for students to perform with a guest instructor and to receive constructive comments and feedback. Audience members are present during the Master Classes which therefore doubles as an informal performance. Students who are 7 years of age and who have studied piano for at least one and a half years are eligible to participate. Repertoire does not have to be memorized but students should be prepared to the same extent as when they are performing in a recital. This level of preparation is required since each student will be asked to make changes in their approach to the music, and they must be very familiar and comfortable with their music and playing in front of an audience.
Instructors who are interested in having students participate should do the following:
- Express interest in the student’s participation in a Master Class with parents and the student
- Determine the repertoire that you would like the student to perform
- Use the next several lessons to prepare for the Master Class
- Find a Master Class date that is appropriate for both you and the student to attend
- Contact Christie Chiles Twillie with the student’s name and the repertoire they would like to perform. Ms. Chiles will schedule the student’s Master Class time.
- Confer with the family and the student to make sure that the scheduled date and time are convenient. In the event the date and time does not work, please contact the office immediately to reschedule or to forfeit your allotted time.
- Plan to attend the Master Class
Audience members may observe the Master Class free of charge. However, there is a fee to participate. Please make checks payable to Piano Lessons In Your Home and write "Master Class" in the memo section. The fee is $20 for PLIYH Clients and $25 for non PLIYH clients. The time allocated to students ranges between 20 minutes and 45 minutes depending on the number of participants scheduled and the repertoire’s level of difficulty. An additional 5 minute audience question and feedback period is allotted between each participant. Instructors and families are invited to observe a Master Class to get a feel for the class structure, environment and format. Students who perform exceptionally well in a Master Class may also be invited to perform in an upcoming PLIYH Concert Series. The Master Class performance would waive the required audition. Master Classes can also be used as an opportunity to receive feedback prior to audition for a concert series. See our Concert Series section for more information.
Master Classes are generally offered once per quarter. The Lending Library and Piano Book Store is open one hour after the Master Class. Families and instructors can browse and check out books at this time. Below is the Master Class Schedule. To register send email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call your local PLIYH office.
Master Classes are available during the Artistic Director Site Visits to each city. Piano Master Classes are usually given by Christie Chiles Twillie, while guest artists are obtained for the Voice and Guitar Master Classes. The Master Class setting presents a great performance opportunity for students, provides observation opportunities for teachers, and encourages teachers and students to become more motivated. Beginning to advanced students are welcomed to participate if they are adequately prepared to receive instruction with an audience present and are familiar enough with their music to make on-the-spot adjustments. The minimum requirements for students performing in a Master Class are: 1) the student must be 7 years old; 2) They must have studied piano for one year. Each student has between 20-45 minutes of one-on-one time depending on the length of the repertoire and the number of Master Class participants. Each performer must prepare two selections, unless they are more advance and the composition exceeds four pages. Memorization is preferred, but not required. A copy of the score must be present at the Master Class. The Master Class participation fee is $20 for students and “free” for PLIYH instructors, observers and performers. Checks should be made payable to: Piano Lessons In Your Home. Please write “Master Class” in the memo section. Families can bring their check with them to the Master Class or may mail it to their local PLIYH office. Students must receive their instructor’s verbal permission to participate and prepare for the event. To sign up, visit our secure server or send email to email@example.com
**** [Please contact your local office for a registration form and to arrange payment and a performance time.]
Piano Lessons In Your Home’s Concert Series occurs 2-3 times per year. We take pride in this special event as it is an opportunity for the public and our clients to observe first hand our instructors in action. The PLIYH Concert Series is also unusual as it is one of the few opportunities in which students and professionals can perform in the same venue!
PLIYH students who play at the intermediate to advanced level are eligible to audition.
Students are required to perform two selections. There are no restrictions on the style of music performed or the period from which the music comes. Memorization is not required, but suggested both for the audition and for the performance. Instructors are asked to attend the audition with their student. A copy of the student’s audition form with comments will be mailed to the instructor so that he/she may discuss the results with the student. Audition decisions will not be overturned.
- "All our hopes are fulfilled. My children are motivated for the first time."
- - Judy - Montgomery, Ohio
- "Calling Piano Lessons In Your Home was the best thing I could have done for my piano playing. As a beginning adult piano student, the convenience of having my lessons at home has made all the difference to me. The PLIYH music library has saved me lots of money too. It is a big plus not having to buy everything I have played. Piano Lessons In Your Home has been everything I had hoped it would be and more. "
- - Jim - Cincinnati, Ohio
- "I love the convenience of PLIYH. I am able to listen to the lesson and be part of the lesson while cooking and laundry at same time."
- - Tracie - Gahanna, Ohio
- "We have a great teacher, both knowledgeable and patient with my children. They are always excited about their lessons and wish their teacher could stay longer. The office is very helpful and always willing to help answer questions. I am pleased with the organization!"
- - Lavita - Gahanna, Ohio
- View all Testimonials